Friday 22 February 2013

N.T. Wright on Women In Ministry

I posted my blog "Neither Male nor Female..." this past week on the topic of Women belonging in ministry. The next day I checked my statistics to discover that my blog had recieved over 400 hits in the space of twenty-four hours. I think I just may of hit on something of note! Women belong in every area of ministry! As I explained my previous blog, I hold the conviction that when we tell women “No” we hold back the potential for the reign of God to surprise us in beautiful ways. 

So as a follow up to previous blog I would like to share a video of N.T. Wright explaining the biblical case for women in ministry. (below)




Wright's position on Women in Ministry is something of note, as he stands in contrast to his denomination's official position on the matter. The Church of England, as recently as November 2012, denied ordination to women with in the organization. (see this link)


NT Wright’s Women’s Service in the Church: The Biblical Basis. He says:


I believe we have seriously misread the relevant passages in the New Testament, no doubt not least through a long process of assumption, tradition, and all kinds of post-biblical and sub-biblical attitudes that have crept in to Christianity. Just as I think we need radically to change our traditional pictures of the afterlife, away from the mediaeval models and back to the biblical ones, so we need radically to change our traditional pictures both of what men and women are and how they relate to one another within the church and indeed of what the Bible says on this subject. I do wonder, sometimes, if those who present radical challenges to Christianity have been all the more eager to make out that the Bible says certain things about women, as an excuse for claiming that Christianity in general is a wicked thing and we ought to abandon it. Of course, there have been plenty of Christians who have given outsiders plenty of chances to make that sort of comment. But perhaps in our generation we have an opportunity to take a large step back in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment